Squad Update Alpha 16 Test + Ama + Twitchcon!
Hey squaddies! As we mentioned on Friday, the time has become to test Alpha 16! Please note: Choppers are in their first release and will continue to be developed with the help of your feedback! Expect some bugs, rough edges, and some antics, to be sure.
ABRIDGED A16 NOTES
- Added Helicopters. Helicopters are an exciting new system of transport that brings about a new dimension to the battlefield, literally. Each conventional faction will get access to medium-lift helicopters capable of transporting troops and supplies. Helicopters are piloted by special Pilot roles much like how heavy vehicles require dedicated Crewmen.
- Added Helicopter Tutorial. Helicopters require a degree of skill and practice in order to operate effectively, so we’ve provided a tutorial that takes you through the basics of piloting, the interface, and even a special time trial challenge course! (Complete with rings!)
- Added a Soft-Boundary system for all layers that feature helicopters. This new boundary system is improved in that it gives the player a warning to turn back to the battle area before they are killed by the system. Different tolerances are set depending on whether the player is on foot, in a ground vehicle, or in a helicopter, making helicopter travel far less punishing than if they were to immediately crash into an invisible wall.
- Added the MI-8 “Hip” to the Russian Ground Forces. This is a medium-lift helicopter capable of carrying up to 9 passengers, not including the pilot, copilot, and 2 crew-chiefs (door gunners). It is armed with 2 door mounted PKP machine guns for self-defense and can carry up to 1500 points of supplies.
- Added the UH-60M “Grouse” for the US Army and British Army. This medium-lift helicopter can carry up to 9 passengers, not including pilot, copilot, and 2 crew-chiefs. It is armed with 2 window-mounted M240H machine guns, suitable for some light degree of protection. It carries up to 1000 points of supplies.
- Disabled all vehicle engines being able to be turned on during the staging phase.
- Fixed FV432 APC being stuck in 1st Gear at all times.
- Shoveling down friendly radios no longer cost tickets.
- Fixed Radio health not blocking spawning when damaged by anything except destruction by shovel.
Squad Update A15 Survey Review
Hey squaddies, We recently sent out another community survey for the A15 patch which received over 3000 responses! Thank you for all your submissions! The survey has given us more valuable feedback in the areas we wanted to hit this time around, and as always we are wanting to ensure we’re reviewing all of the data and allowing the team to discuss the feedback from the community but we’re ready to break down the responses to see how you folks feel.
WHO’S PARTICIPATING?Once again, our veteran squaddies are leading the charge with 87% of the 3500 responses coming from players with over 100 hours in the game, and the final 13% being from players with 50 hours or less. There’s still a lot of experience going into the feedback and we appreciate this wide range of opinions being reflected in the survey.
IS THIS A GOOD PATCH?Alpha 15 seems to be a popular patch with a majority (85.4%) of responses showing a positive opinion for the patch, with the remaining being made up with a satisfactory view (11.9%) and very few negative responses (2.7%). We see this as another step in the right direction as our surveys continue to show a positive reflection on the work being done with each new patch.
INFANTRY TUTORIALThe first patch specific question was regarding the new Infantry Tutorial that was brought with Alpha 16. Here a majority of 62% of responses deemed the tutorial length of 15-20 minutes to be about right, 8% feel it is not long enough and a further 2% thinking it was too long. The final 28% of responses came from players who hadn’t tested the tutorial. Have more thoughts for us? Be sure to include your feedback in the thread!
NEW SUPPLY INTERFACEThe new radial interface for logistics and supply trucks was something that may have come as a surprise in this patch, but seems to have been well received! 67% of the responses liked the change, with a further 19% liking it but having some concerns regarding the change. 5.9% flat out didn’t like the addition while the rest hadn’t noticed the change.
BMP-2 IFV BALANCEWe broached the subject of vehicle balance by asking how you felt regarding the Russian BMP-2. This question had a mixed response with 30.2% viewing the BMP as balanced, 9% feeling they are underpowered, and 4.8% holding the view they are overpowered. The remaining 55% were split between lack of time with the vehicle or feel it is too early to state so we may need a bit more time with the BMP-2 before making certain. You can always get back to us after you’ve passed basic, crewman.
Page 4 of 67