Squad Update Beta 17 Released
Welcome to duty, Commander. Your assets are online and ready for deployment. That’s right, squaddies: the ultimate leadership role has landed in Squad. From devastating artillery to UAV overwatch, the Commander is well equipped to lead your team to victory. Assuming they’re up for the challenge. We've also got a little note on the design changes directly from Fuzzhead!
BETA 17 PATCH NOTES
COMMANDER ROLEWe’re introducing a new leadership role that is focused on planning, keeping the team on task, and bringing just the right amount of reinforcement. The intent for this role is to keep intel flowing between the various Squads, and, in ideal circumstances, Commanders can create a dynamic plan for the entire team to follow. We envision that this role can be played in a variety of styles, we have intentionally kept the options open for players to experiment with. For example:
- A Commander can keep their squad size very small to primarily focus on keeping the rest of the team in the loop on enemy intel markings, planning new FOB build locations, coordinating air assault drop points, using the UAV to mark and scout enemy locations, as well as providing devastating fire support through artillery and airstrikes.
- The Commander role could be used by a Squad Leader that still has a full squad fighting in offensive or defensive situations. This “frontlines” Commander would still be able to help augment the team through the use of his Commander actions and keeping each squad on task, but with a more direct engagement in the battle.
- Another way to utilize the Commander role could be used by a Squad Leader focused on Logistics and building rear defensive locations with a strong emphasis on intel gathering and reconnaissance.
- Commander role is filled via a volunteer and voting process. In order to participate in a vote for CO, the player must be a Squad Leader in a squad with at least 1 squad member. A vote cannot be initiated until there are at least three squads that exist.
- Commander costs the team -5 tickets for each death — Be sure to stay out of the line of fire!...
Squad Update Alpha 16 Released
Hey squaddies! It’s been a heck of a ride getting here and we certainly couldn’t have done it without the uncountable hours of testing you folks have put in to make sure we can get choppers off the ground! We’re finally ready to release the first iteration of choppers to the official Squad client! Helicopters represent one of our last milestones on the road to release and represent a big change to the flow of a match, so be sure to keep your feedback coming — there’s still work to be done. Of course, there’s more to the patch than a few game-changing airborne vehicles, so let’s dig in for the complete list of changes:
ALPHA 16 CHANGELOG
- Added Helicopters. Helicopters are an exciting new system of transport that (literally) brings about a new dimension to the battlefield. Each conventional faction will get access to medium-lift helicopters capable of transporting troops and supplies. Helicopters are piloted by special Pilot roles, similar to heavy vehicles requiring a dedicated Crewmen. Helicopters carry ammo as well as construction supplies. Additionally, all kit roles are available via choppers. (Just make sure someone’s got their wings before take-off!)
- Added Helicopter Tutorial. Instead of showing your teammates how fun it is to make craters, we’ve included a brand new Helicopter Tutorial, complete with rings! (This one’s for you, SNES fans.)
- Added a Soft-Boundary system for all map layers that feature helicopters. This new boundary system gives the player a warning to turn back to the battle area before they are killed by the system. Different tolerances are set depending on whether the player is on foot, in a ground vehicle, or in a helicopter. The goal is to make helicopter travel outside map boundaries less punishing.
- Fixed the limitation that caused servers to be able to only run three mods at a time.
- Territory Control: Added a HAB hex zone defense mechanic. When a team has an active HAB in a hex they control, that hex cannot be captured until the HAB is deactivated.
- Territory Control: Fixed Ticket Bleed not properly replicating.
- Territory Control: Fixed the “Cut off from Anchor Point” mechanic not working in many situations.
- Increased Skirmish ticket counts to 150 tickets (was 100 tickets) and increased staging phase timer to 3 minutes, previously 2 minutes.
Page 3 of 67